Peter Ongondo is a medium pace bowler and a lower order hard hitting batsman from Kenya. He first represented Kenya against South Africa in 1999-2000. Peter played his last ODI against Zimbabwe on Mar 20, 2011. Peter is currently coaching and playing for Swamibapa Cricket Club. He also coached U-19 Women's team from Kenya, which finished 2nd in the Tournament. Peter also started a Cricket Camp for mentally challenged students at Pangani Primary School.
Excerpts from an Interview with Peter Ongondo from Kenya by Vishal Yadav
1. About Me:
Full Name: PETER ONGONDO
Date of Birth:10-02-1977
Playing Role: Bowler
Batting Style: Right Hand Batsman
Bowling Style: Right Hand Medium Pace
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else)
COACH NAKURU COUNTY
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
YES SINCE 1992 , NATIONAL COUNTY CLUB.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
SWAMIBAPA NAIROBI AND NAKURUN DEVELOPMENT TEAM
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
QUALIFY FOR WORLD CUP, YOUTH AND COUNTY CRICKET.
6. Do your club/association have any website or facebook page? Mention their links. cricketkenya.co.ke
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
FINISHED 2ND AT THE LADIES UNDER 19 CHAMPIONSHIP AS A COACH, UNDER 15 CAMP DEC 1 TO 24 2014 (3). STARTING A CAMP FOR MENTALLY CHALLENGED AT PANGANI PRIMARY SCHOOL NAKURU.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
INDIA FOR A TRAINING, COACHING CAMP.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
FACILITIES ARE NOT ADEQUATE AND THE CLUB CRICKET IS DYING AS A RESULT OF 20-TWENTY AND YOUNG-BOYS NOT WANTING TO TRAIN. TO OVERCOME WE NEED TO INVEST ON MORE FACILITIES AND MAKE CLUB AND COUNTY CRICKET AT-LEAST SEMI PROFESSIONAL.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country.
(1) SWAMIBAPA CRICKET CLUB (2) KANBIS CRICKET CLUB (3) KONGONIS CRICKET CLUB.
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
SWAMIBAPA BECAUSE THEY HAVE HELP MOST OF THE YOUNG CRICKETERS TO REALIZE THEIR DREAMS. CURRENTLY 6 PLAYERS FROM THE CLUB REPRESENT THE NATIONAL TEAM.
13. Tell in brief (One paragraph). Which country are you supporting this World Cup? And Why?
WEST INDIES CAUSE I LOVE THE FREE STYLE CRICKET.