Ricardo Nathaniel Roach is a National Cricket Player from Cayman Islands. Ricardo has represented Cayman Islands against Guernsey, Tanzania, Jersey, Malaysia, U.S.A, Canada and Argentina. The recent match he played was ICC World Cricket League Division 5 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2014.
1. Tell us about you?
Full Name: Ricardo Nathaniel Roach
Date of Birth: July 27th 1987
Playing Role: Batting All Rounder
Batting Style: RHB
Bowling Style: Off Break
Address:100 Woodland Drive
Country: Cayman Islands
Excerpts from an Interview with Ricardo Roach from Cayman Islands by Vishal Yadav
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner?A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
Cricket Player/Cricket Fan
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
Yes, I have been playing cricket for 16 years. I have played Division 1 and 2. I also have played for the National Team.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
SOL is the name of my club. It was founded in 2001. I currently work for the Cayman Islands Government.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
I see our team dominating our local leagues. Our team is fairly young and new to the game and we are very competitive. In a few years we will be dominating. We need to spend more time batting, our fielding and bowling is very good but our batting requires more time and attention.
6. Do your club/association have any website or facebook page? Mention their links.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
ICC World Cricket League Division 5 in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 2014
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
I would be interested in doing some training anywhere outside of Cayman. India, Australia, England, USA. I would take an opportunity to go and play in any of those places.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Currently we lack facilities and exposure. Hopefully in the years to come we are able to get a few more cricket grounds that encourage stroke playing. Right now the grounds are very very slow and encourage a lot of aerial shots. I feel that as the country gets more into cricket and more money is pumped in these things will improve.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
One thing that would boost our involvement is youth programs. I don’t think the youth in Cayman are aware of the great opportunities cricket provides.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country.
1. Greenies CC -
2. BY RITE CC 3. Schools CC
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
I would like to nominate BY RITE CC as they are the most historical club in Cayman. They have been around since the beginning and their club says a lot about our history both as a nation and as a cricketing community.
13. Tell in brief (One paragraph). Which country are you supporting this World Cup? And Why?
I am supporting the West Indies. Being from the Caribbean I have always looked up to the great West Indian players despite the fact that we are not in a good place as a team right now. I still feel I should be supporting them. We still play with passion and flair. This is what makes the West Indies so popular all over the world. I never thought we would win but my passion is with them. I think Australia will win. They are my other team because of their attitude towards the game. They play cricket HARD.