Andrew Mulkern is a National Player, Coach and Junior Development Officer for Cyprus Cricket Association. Its been 22 years to Andrew's Cricket journey, which started when he was just 6. Andrew played for Junior County Cricket in England before moving to Cyprus. His efforts won him Best Cyprus Cricketer Award in the year 2014. Andre and his team are working to uplift the Cricket Culture in Cyprus. Although there are few challenges like lack of Cricket grounds, training facilities, but still Andrew envisions a positive growth in the Community.
1.Tell us about yourself?
Full Name: Andrew Mulkern
Date of Birth: 22/11/1986
Playing Role: Batsman
Batting Style: Right Hand Bat
Bowling Style: Right Arm Medium
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
Currently, I am a player, and the Junior Development Officer for the Cyprus Cricket Association.
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
I have been playing cricket from approximately 6 years old. I have played club level and for the National team in Cyprus.
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
I play for Moufflons CC, which was formed as an ex-pat team in the early 1980's. I work as a coach for the Cyprus Cricket Association.
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
Ideally, in the next 5 years, Moufflons will still be strongly competing for the leagues, and cups in all formats of the game! It would be great to have our own ground too. In order to improve, we must always look at ourselves, and adapt our own game, as the game changes itself.
6. Do your club/association have any website or facebook page? Mention their links.
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
Best Cyprus Cricketer in the 2014 - 40 over league.
Coaching in schools all over the island, and travelling to Corfu and Belgium for international tournaments.
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp? Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
I would love to travel to India, either to coach or play! New Zealand is also high up on the bucket list - ideally I would like to go and coach abroad.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
Cricket is not very well known in Cyprus. We are trying to introduce it into schools, in kids of a young age, and to adults alike, so that they can all, hopefully, begin to love the game, as we all do.
A divided Island - the North of Cyprus was annexed in 1974. In the last few years, we have managed to play games between northern and southern sides, and hopefully that may continue, so we can unite and grow.
Funding - through either sponsorship, or with more help from the ICC to develop our own grounds.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
Like many other affiliate nations. Sponsorship & publicity.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country. Also mention the name and email id of these 3 clubs.
1. Gennadios CC
2. Mustangs CC
3. Fellows CC
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
Fellows CC. They are a great group of people, who have recently gained some success in the leagues and cups, but as far as I am aware, lack a website.