Suhan Alagaratnam is a Malysian National Cricket Player and is also a Cricket Australia Certified Level 2 Coach. In his splendid Cricket career of 20 Years, Suhan has achieved several recognitions and achievements to his name. He made his debut for the National team in 2005. In 2009, Suhan was made Captain of the Team in all the Cricket Formats and enjoyed leading the team from front till 2013. Malaysia currently plays in Division 3 and Suhan and his team are eyeing on 2023 Cricket World. Suhan mentions that Malaysia Cricket has grown a lot in the recent years and the credit goes to the improvement made in all the Department including Coaching, Jobs, Overseas exposure.
1. Tell us about you?
Full Name: Suhan Kumar Alagaratnam
Date of Birth: 15 Nov 1986
Playing Role: Top Order Batsman
Batting Style: RHB
Bowling Style: RA - off spin
Address: Seri Kembangan, Selangor.
2. At Present: Are you a Coach? A cricket player? A cricket related business? A club Owner? A cricket Fan? Mention your work profile (if anything else).
National Cricketer (Player) , Cricket Australia Level 2 (Coaching)
3. Are you playing cricket currently? If Yes - Since how long are you playing cricket? What level of cricket have you played so far in your country?
20 Years since I started playing cricket. (National Level)
4. Do you play for any club or a team? Mention their names? When was it founded? Where are you working currently?
Selangor ( Malaysian League) , Ceylon Sports Club (Singapore League) - Have played 4 Seasons in Australia for Mulgrave CC in Melbourne and Adelaide University CC in Adelaide. Of course for Malaysia National Team. (Debut in 2005 for the national team and captain Malaysia in all formats from 2009-2013)
Working currently for Sports TV Channel (Astro Arena)
5. Where do you and your team see yourself in coming 5 years? Where do you want to focus in order to improve your cricket?
Hopefully Malaysia will make the World cup in 2023. Look to be consistent in the ICC World League, and make it to division 1. (Currently Malaysia is 23rd in the ICC rankings and plays in the ICC world cricket league division 3) To improve mainly we will need to play more competitive cricket and guidance in High performance coaching for technical & tactical improvement.
6. Do your club/association have any website or facebook page? Mention their links.
Facebook : MalaysiaCricket
7. Any recent achievements/activities that you had. (It could be organizing a small camp, or just playing a match or organizing a cricket camp or playing a tournament series) Do mention the date.
National team 2005- Current
National Team Captain 2009-2013
Recent Tournament ICC World T20 Qualifier in Dubai (Asia Zone)
Asian Games 2010,2014
ICC World Cricket League 3,4,5,6
8. Would you like to come to India for a tournament or a coaching camp?
Yes would love too.
Or do you want to travel any other country (if Yes, please mention the name)?
South Africa always wanted to experience playing cricket there.
9. What are the challenges you are facing in your country's cricket? If any, how do you feel to overcome those challenges?
As explain above we need to be playing more competitive cricket as a team and individually. Also with the National Body improving their player management (Welfare,Coaching,Education,Job,Overseas Exposure,Tours etc) we have a great future ahead to be at least a top cricketing nation among the Associates. Also to have a wide base at the grass root level spreading the game in schools.
10. One thing that you instantly need that would boost the involvement of people in your country's cricket?
Television Exposure of the Game.
11. Name any 3 active Cricket Clubs from your locality, Country. Also mention the name and email id of these 3 clubs.
We are State base and all states are quite active, although I would like to point out the the Royal Selangor Club is very active with their cricket and junior development.
12. Would you like to nominate any club from your country for a free website from Global Cricket Community? If Yes, Why?
Royal Selangor Club.